A modest effort in keeping our family and friends informed of our whereabouts, our doings and our brilliance. (Ok, maybe not that.)

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Shakespearean Rant

I am not trying to scare anyone but this is the cover of the playbill from the play we went to the other night:


OK, King Lear is perhaps my favorite play by Shakespeare. The weird thing is that I have only seen it once, the film version done in the 60s starring Paul Scofield. I was in college at BYU and saw it for extra credit when I was taking my Shakespeare class. Anyway, I felt like I had been hit by a truck when that film ended. I have read it again several times but the thing is just so dark, so emotionally difficult that it just isn't staged all that much. HOWEVER, last summer I saw that the Shakespeare Theater Company here in DC was staging it this summer and was really excited. Dan gave me tickets for my birthday and off Dan, Josh and I went.

Why is it that directors feel they must "put their own stamp" on Shakespeare? Why must they think they have to improve something that is arguably perfect already? This director decided to set his play in modern day Russia, full of Russian thugs with knives, automatic weapons, fur coats, modern music, vodka, and lots of cigarette smoking. I can't remember ever seeing nudity in Shakespeare before. I am certainly glad I was not sitting in the first row. I was so busy watching what the director was doing that I missed the play. It is amazing to me that the play I saw so long ago and had so profound a reaction to could have so many laughs in it now.

Sorry, I just had to get it off my chest. Apparently I am very much in the minority, the critics here liked it. I am parochial, I guess. I prefer to think that I am just a real fan of the Bard.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awful, AWFUL.
    I really hate interpretations like that.

    Our cicada killers are back. Fun. I'm just hoping that we can make it through their time with us this year without the kids freaking out everytime they see one outside. You know how they can get when they're scared!

    luvs aby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is much more intellectual than my blog. Rheim noticed and I agree with him. I need to add some culture to my life. Too bad about the play. I know how much you love the theatre!

    ReplyDelete