A modest effort in keeping our family and friends informed of our whereabouts, our doings and our brilliance. (Ok, maybe not that.)

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hooray For The Red, White and Blue!



It was the first non-rain 4th of July in Washington DC for a few years and we decided to spend it with a few of our closest friends:

We were joined by Erin, Danny's girlfriend, fresh from her semester abroad in New Zealand and friend Natalie. Both are interns at Do The Write Thing this summer. Very fun to have two DC novices to share the 4th with.

Dan and I started the day at the National Archives where "George Washington" and "Thomas Jefferson" read the Declaration of Independence. The end of the program is a great rendition of God Bless America with thousands of people singing. Yes, I got very misty eyed.

The picture of the man to the left of the podium is actually a screen image of the man who led the singing. He had a FABULOUS voice.

We were also part of the throng on Constitution Avenue watching the parade. The best? No doubt about it, the representatives of every branch of the military followed by the Continental Fife and Drum Corp.

3 comments:

  1. I love the Drum & Fife corp! And the kids would have gone nuts for that! They are such good appreciators of all things wonderful.

    I can't however say that I'm jealous of your "friends". Especially that guy scratching his armpit.

    luvs, aby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I hadn't noticed that! I just put on the picture without enlarging it. Hey, I thought I had put in the one opposite - looking towards the Washington Monument. It had a girl lying on her back that looked like it came right out of Playboy. I think the Blog Gods refused to post that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had the perfect July 4th celebration. I am envious. Surely do miss you guys. I am so glad you are having such an enriching summer.

    ReplyDelete