A modest effort in keeping our family and friends informed of our whereabouts, our doings and our brilliance. (Ok, maybe not that.)

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The (Nearly) Annual Pilgrimage

You can't be in D.C., call yourself an American and not make the trek to Mount Vernon. Of course, that's just my opinion. I know I have a couple of kids who may not agree 100% with me (being Thomas Jefferson fans) but for me, there was no one in American history who comes close to George Washington. So, the yearly drive to Mount Vernon is a must.


Washington once said that there is no place on earth he would rather be than Mount Vernon. With a view like this who could disagree? Of course, the man had spent most of his life away from his home fighting the Brits AND Congress and no place is more peaceful even with thousands of tourists wandering around.

Honestly, I love this place. If I was rich and powerful and could have my way I would be one of the members of the Mount Vernon Ladies Society. There is one Vice Regent from every state and one Regent in the Society and they run everything. MV is not owned by the government. It was purchased in 1853 or so by a group of ladies who thought that it was insane that the home of Washington had fallen into such disrepair. Since then the Society has done a really fabulous job. They have purchased several hundred surrounding acres, restablished the working plantation, worked to control development on the Maryland side of the Potomac so that the view from MV would stay much the same as in Washington's day, had really excellent museums built on site. They have done an impressive job. I know, I know. I'm a little nuts on this point.

Besides, there is a lane there that is bordered by magnolia trees - an ENTIRE lane!

4 comments:

  1. did you guys see the movie there in the new museum where it actually snows? That was my new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're gonna give me a heart attack going to all these gorgeous places. I LOVE GW's house, white with black shutters and a red roof. Ahhhhh.

    luvs, aby

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you're right - I do disagree. Tommy J was the greatest American.
    Hey how come GW is the only guy who doesn't get a big statue of himself at his memorial? Seems wrong somehow.

    luvs, aby

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of my favorite places when we went to D.C. I could have sat out on the porch with the rocking chairs all day and just enjoyed the view. Again, jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete