A modest effort in keeping our family and friends informed of our whereabouts, our doings and our brilliance. (Ok, maybe not that.)

Friday, June 12, 2009

Petersburg National Battlefield

On the drive back to DC from Durham, NC we took a couple of hours to stop at the Civil War battlefield at Petersburg, Virginia. I knew that Petersburg had been a very important area in the War but I didn't know all that had gone on there. Nearly ten months of battles, skirmishes, and seige played out there. It always amazes me, when visiting a Civil War site, how calm the place seems. Petersburg was particularly so. The sky was blue and the birds were singing. It is hard to imagine what went on there 145 years ago.



There is a very large cemetery full of graves from the period. Not all are Confederate soldiers, but there were a fair number.



Perhaps the GREATEST NAME EVER! Besides I couldn't resist a pisture of the marker. After all, my maiden name is Page.

2 comments: